Recent and upcoming talks
The Highland Fling Sessions: Professionalism
23 February 2016
“Defensive web development: protecting the web from political uncertainty”
I am an experienced conference speaker on a range of digital law issues, specifically laws and regulations which impact the crafts of web design and development. My 19 years of experience as a web designer, coupled with practical experience in digital law, allow me to help your audience comprehend legal issues on their level. My conference talks educate, empower, and inspire attendees to understand how regulations work on a screen and not on paper. I speak in plain English, not legalese or government-speak.
Topics I have spoken on recently include
- the EU Consumer Rights Directive
- the UK Consumer Rights Bill
- the UK copyright overhaul
- Protecting yourself in your contracts from client copyright infringement
- the EU copyright reform process
- the EU Place of Supply reforms (VATMOSS)
- the EU Cookie Law
- the BPAS database hack and penalty fine
- the Delfi v Estonia ruling on web site comments
- Automattic’s victory against DMCA abuse
- UK data retention and surveillance legislation
- the EU directive on accessibility in public sector web sites
- GDPR (EU data protection reform)
Here’s what I don’t offer in my conference talks: scaremongering, threats of penalties, personal attacks, academic lectures, and talking down to attendees like naughty, noncompliant children. Your audience deserves better than that.
The fine print of hiring me to speak
- I do expect to have my travel costs from from Glasgow, Scotland covered, as well as hotel costs.
- I need to know that your event has a Code of Conduct and that it is public, visible, and shared in advance with attendees.
- I do not provide talks to bolster any specific political agenda.
- As an impartial provider of information resources I cannot endorse any particular compliance product.
Interested in inviting me to speak at your conference? Let’s talk.
TechMeetup Edinburgh 2017
WordCamp Belfast 2016
J and Beyond 2016, Barcelona
WordCamp Europe 2015, Seville
WordCamp Edinburgh 2015
WordCamp London 2015
What the attendees say
– Sigrid Suski
– Elzette Roelofse
– Jon Burton