Here are some links to media quotes and talks I gave over the spring and summer, in a professional capacity, for my previous employer.
This may seem like an ego exercise, however, I recently received this email from a follower.
It’s good to be reminded that I’m not on the battlefield for nothing. So if someone’s work has made that sort of impact on you, reach out to them and let them know. It’ll make their day.
Freedom of Expression / the UK Online Safety Bill
- Work blog on lobbyist proposals to mandate nationality checks on web sites in Britain under the draft Online Safety Bill https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/papers-please-nationality-checks-for-the-british-internet/
- Work blog on the politicisation of free speech under the draft Online Safety Bill https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/how-the-online-safety-bill-lets-politicians-define-free-speech/
- Politico on the draft Online Safety Bill and government powers over journalism https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-asks-who-is-journalist-define/
- Work blog on age verification under the draft Online Safety Bill https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/age-verification-in-the-online-safety-bill/
- Work blog on threats to encryption under the draft Online Safety Bill
- Aftermath of the racial abuse sent on social media to England’s Euro 2020 footballers: quotes in Sky News, ITPro, GBNews, The Times, and Politico; also the work blog
- PC Pro podcast on encryption in the Online Safety Bill
- Work blog on compliance requirements and penalties under the OSB
- The House magazine on the OSB not being the One Weird Trick that Parliamentarians think it is
- TechCrunch on DCMS’s guidance to businesses ahead of the OSB advising them not to deploy e2e
- Politico on the OSB and Ministerial powers over free speech
- Work blog post on an open letter to MPs on e2e
- Internet Society England presentation on the technical implications of the OSB
- Work blog post on OSB and the censorship of discussions on migration
- Politico on the OSB
Privacy and Surveillance
- Wired UK on the Conservatives’ plan to strip away privacy rights under the guise of reforming cookie banners https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-change-gdpr-eu-adequacy
- DailyDot article on Spotify and privacy
- Forbes quote on Spotify and privacy
- The Ferret article on Police Scotland / Cellebrite
- Work blog post on e2e
- Wired ICR trial story
- BBC News ICR trial story
- Guardian ICR trial story
- Telegraph ICR trial story
- Work blog post on anonymity
PS – the header image on this post is a spoiler!